Monday, October 22, 2012

Like how you're Manhattan and I'm Syracuse


gita lenz: new york views: slideshow: places: design observer

And this pain splitting in my side is comforting. The deep pits here in my stomach keep me well. Keep me from getting ill. From going totally crazy. The wrong kind of crazy. This makes us "me".

We don't go to New York for the silver bullet subways or their plastic benches. We go for the people. And I go for the lack of cars. And the lack of trees. Because Central Park really doesn't count as landscape..

Manhattan makes me feel good. Good about being me.

We've got no stickiness in the air and no urine on the grounds. We can wake up to silence- maybe the sound of a dog or a lawn mower.
You don't hear that, see that or feel that in Manhattan.

And maybe we should never complain about how bad we've got it. Because maybe you could see something said in the weather worn eyes of these woman who were born here. Maybe, if you look, you could see it in the eyes and wrinkled faces of the men who will never leave here. The children who might never see mountains.

Sure thing, holding a coffee, wearing a pencil skirt and looking busy might look like some real fun, man. But I bet there's coffee shops in Nebraska..

I bet there's romance in Nebraska. You've seen the movies. There's romance in New York. All I see is that everyone just wants to kiss each other. It's their eyes; you can see. It's kinda a vampireous Edward-Bella look. But I'm sure you'd find a Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan sort of fling if you looked deep enough.

I don't know.
Maybe there's only meaningless kisses and maybe there's no coffee shops. Maybe there really isn't anything in Nebraska.
But maybe still I'd rather watch all our mountains burn than watch skyscrapers fall. Because I'd rather be looking at our mountains..

banksy-new-york-city-1

Dig back down to the ships that made Manhattan. I bet they never predicted this.

The city like bugs. Night bugs. Crawling and scratching through the city. Stilettos and poetry. Gay guys and hot dogs. Charcoal sketches of naked ladies. Musicians in the subways. Coffee and more gay people. Or maybe they're not gay. This city never sleeps.

2 comments:

Nelson said...

maybe there's no coffee shops

#stolen

Dick Tidrow said...

"I bet there's romance in Nebraska"
Way good.